Life Insurance with Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Life Insurance is not usually available from Mainstream Insurers for those with Multiple Sclerosis.
Those with severe symptoms / more advanced progression and/or other complications are likely to be declined by standard insurers.
The condition does presents serious risk to overall health and where available, Life Insurance premiums may be higher.
The following guidance is therefore usually aimed at those who have been diagnosed with more advanced Multiple Sclerosis.
Key Issues for Multiple Sclerosis
To determine if Life Insurance can be offered and at what premium, an underwriter will likely require a fair level of detail about the person affected.
This is driven by multiple factors which you will need to inform us about in any Life Insurance enquiry including: -
- Multiple Sclerosis Type - Each type has differing characteristics and some degree of unpredictability.
- Each Person - is affected differently by MS disease and no two people will experience the exact same symptoms, progression or periods of remission (if any).
- Indirect impact of Parkinson’s - While MS disease doesn't directly cause death, the consequential burden on the body and so some people become more vulnerable to serious and life-threatening infections.
- Complexity and range of MS treatments – without a direct cure for Parkinson’s, medical treatments are being trialled and evolved all the time. There are also a wide range of treatments from drugs to physiotherapy and occasionally surgery. Every person’s treatment plan will be very personal to them.
- Lifestyle – the impact of a healthy lifestyle and a positive commitment to self-manage the ability and willingness as well to make and follow informed decisions relating to treatment are all factors which can affect a person with MS.
Pulse Insurance specialise and may well be able to find cover for those with Multiple Sclerosis and other conditions, when other insurers decline. If you have not already been declined for life cover, you could consider approaching mainstream insurers.
It is quite likely that we will require a Medical Report before cover can be issued. We will discuss this with you when you enquire.
If you need a specialist underwriter
Pulse specialise in taking your Multiple Sclerosis and any other specific conditions and needs into account and finding you Life Insurance cover, if it is available.
We use our knowledge and experience to find a solution when other Life Insurers have declined to quote.
Why Pulse Insurance?
- Pulse Insurance have been focused on finding unusual cover since 1998
- We strive to offer a caring and sensitive service
- We are knowledgeable insurance professionals who work as a team
- We provide a personal service to guide you through
- If we cannot help, it will not be for the want of trying or know-how
While finding cover for everyone is not always possible and the premium will be higher to reflect increased risk, we like to think we are good at helping people find the cover they need.
In many of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) cases we can offer indicative premiums and/or sense of if cover may be available or not early on; so, you can decide to proceed or not.
It is always important to declare your Multiple Sclerosis and any other medical conditions completely.
Your Personal & Medical Details
Everything you disclose about your Multiple Sclerosis (MS) to any life insurer or life agent should be treated with sensitivity and appropriate levels of privacy.
Every person with more severe Multiple Sclerosis knows that their state of health, any complications and their lifestyle will impact their risk and the cover available. These factors will be explicitly considered when determining the fair premium, you would pay.
Your Pulse underwriting specialist will look to gain a detailed picture of your condition.
Requirements for more information
While our initial enquiry may not gather enough information to provide an indication of cost, our insurers may ask for more in depth information regarding your Multiple Sclerosis and/or any other conditions. Sometimes the details you can provide may allow them to reduce the premium they seek.
As you have a medical condition, it is possible that underwriters will need to seek a Doctor’s report or for you to undergo medical examinations, blood tests or other tests that will confirm your health to allow them to quote an accurate premium and confirm cover details. The costs involved in obtaining the medical information are usually paid by the underwriter, but if not, you will be informed before they are requested.
Pulse will never sell your details to anyone. We will use your details to provide the service you have asked for according to the permissions you grant us– read our Privacy and Data Protection policy in full.
Pulse may be able to offer covers beyond everyday Life Insurance to give you the peace of mind and protection you desire.
- Beyond Life Insurance
- More Life Insurance
The reasons you may need life cover may be simple or complex, but having the right covers brings peace of mind for you and your family.
Useful Multiple Sclerosis resources
We suspect if you have read this far, you are relatively well informed about your Multiple Sclerosis.
You may know of or find these external resources useful; although Pulse are inevitably not responsible or in control of the accuracy or nature of the information provided.