Life Cover when in conflict zones or dangerous environments
Life Insurance when outside the UK
Those who live their lives wholly in the United Kingdom, Europe and other first-world countries generally enjoy a safe and secure environment in which to live and work and play. As a consequence, most Life Insurers are able to offer a wide range of covers and sums insured at attractive premiums.
However, not all occupations or sports / leisure pursuits are always covered by standard policies.
Working outside the UK
Standard policies also usually cover for wherever you might go on holiday and sometimes may do so if you work for brief periods outside of the UK.
However, if you work outside the UK on a more permanent / routine basis, it is important to check your cover is appropriate.
Those who work outside the UK may also work in more hazardous occupations, sometimes in equally safe locations, and sometimes in remote or dangerous environments.
This might be oil rig workers or doctors working in former or even current conflict zones or journalists or even accountants auditing remote international offices and so on.
Naturally, it is important that those heading to such hazardous countries ensure their Life Insurance provision will cover them and provide the protection they want for their loved ones.
Hazardous Sports & Leisure Pursuits outside the UK
It is quite common for those who pursue some hazardous sports and leisure pastimes to go abroad whether that be to climb the Himalayas, go Gliding in the USA or caving in South America.
As above, if you are going to do any hazardous sport or leisure pursuits outside the UK, these may not always be covered by all mainstream Insurance, and specifically Life or all Travel Insurance arrangements. It is therefore equally important you check your cover.
Location drives Higher Risks
In addition to the type of work or activity being undertaken, there may be additional risks , for example:-
- oil rig workers often do relatively hazardous work in more hazardous or simply a remote location far from sophisticated medical facilities
- group of aid workers or missionaries may be in working country where there is war, civil war, aftermath of recent conflict, political instability
- some areas of the world have high incidences of disease or HIV or little by way of emergency services or difficult and long evacuations, so less serious illnesses and injuries can have more serious consequences
- climbing or even trekking remote mountains can mean emergency help is both along way away and also often unable to reach you due to weather conditions
In these cases and many more, spending a significant time in hazardous locations may mean an increased risk of death by accident or illness when comparing to the UK. This can mean that specialist Life Insurance is needed, that premiums will be higher and in some cases precise terms of cover and some exclusions may be applied.
Which countries / locations are is Hazardous?
The lists of countries or locations deemed hazardous is perpetually changing. Common countries we see and solve enquiries relating to include Afghanistan, Iraq and Sudan.
The country may be less important than the activity for sports and beyond.
Whatever the driver of the higher risk, Pulse believe it is best to handle each enquiry as unique.
Consequently, we are not providing extensive detail by country or location provided as this would be to broad and changeable as to be useful.
The Foreign Office travel advice provide online and up to date guidance to help you assess and prepare for any trips or work abroad - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.
You can be sure we are experienced in providing quite specialist cover as the examples of cover we have provided further below indicate:
How Pulse Insurance can help?
While finding cover for everyone is not always possible and the premium will be higher to reflect increased risk, we like to think we are rather good at helping people find the cover they need.
- The team at Pulse Insurance are experienced and approachable
- We specialise in finding cover for unusual risks – it is what we do every day
- We treat each case as individual so that your actual risk is fairly assessed
- We talk directly to our underwriters to find the right cover for each person
- If insurance is available, we like to think we know the underwriter who can!
How to enquire / apply
- Our team will work to understand the specifics and guide you
- We have created a simple process for you to provide us with the relevant information.
- We will typically provide an indication of premium within 5 business days, if cover may be available
- If you wish to proceed we then arrange for your formal application and arrange cover
You can begin your Enquiry online and send us your requirements and information now.
For Life Insurance visit our dedicated details:-
OR we always welcome you calling us on 01280 831430 to talk things through.
Beyond Life Insurance
We recognise that Life Insurance only makes a difference if the worst should happen. Pulse are also able to discuss a range of other covers which may be relevant or desired including :-
If you need any help, please do not hesitate to call on 01280 841430
It is important to declare your travel details and activities while abroad and any medical conditions completely.
Your Personal & Medical Details
Everything you disclose about your health to any life insurer or life agent should be treated with sensitivity and appropriate levels of privacy.
Requirements for more information
Occasionally our initial enquiry may not gather enough information to make a definitive decision, our insurers may ask for more in depth information regarding your health and/or any other conditions. Sometimes the details you can provide may allow them to reduce the premium they seek.
If you have a medical condition, it is possible that underwriters will need to seek a Doctor’s report or for you to undergo medical examinations, blood tests or other tests that will confirm your health to allow them to quote an accurate premium and confirm cover details. The costs involved in obtaining the medical information are usually paid by the underwriter, but if not, you will be informed before they are requested.
Pulse will never sell your details to anyone. We will use your details to provide the service you have asked for according to the permissions you grant us– read our Privacy and Data Protection policy in full.
We suspect if you have read this far, you are relatively well informed about where you will be living and/or working.
You may know of or find these external resources useful; although Pulse are inevitably not responsible or in control of the accuracy or nature of the information provided.