You are here:  Home News Can you afford to have any time off of work?

Can you afford to have any time off of work?

Accidents and illnesses can happen to anyone at any time and aside from the physical and emotional issues involved, having unplanned time off of work can be financially devastating for self-employed and contract staff.

In 2016 there were an estimated 137.3 million sick days in the UK* and whilst around 25% of those were due to coughs and colds a large percentage was made up of longer term injuries and illness. Whilst many employees are entitled to sick pay, contractors and hourly paid employees are not always afforded this benefit. Pulse can provide either Personal Accident and Illness cover or Income Protection insurance for a longer-term benefit.


Personal Accident & Illness Insurance

Cover can be provided for Personal Accident only or Personal Accident and Illness.

Benefits include:

  • A weekly Temporary Total Disablement benefit, payable for up to 104 weeks in respect of an accident or 52 weeks in respect of an illness. This benefit can be a maximum of 65% of your gross weekly wage.
  • A lump sum benefit in the event of Death or Permanent Total Disablement. This benefit is usually a maximum of five times your annual salary.

This cover is especially useful for individuals working in construction and associated trades as an injury as simple as a sprained ankle can lead to time off of work and a loss of earnings.


Income Protection Insurance

Cover can be provided in the event of an accident or illness depending on the policy purchased.

  • Should the client claim within the policy period, a monthly Temporary Total Disablement (TTD) benefit will be paid for up to a maximum of 5 years following a selected deferred period.
  • A lump sum Permanent Total Disablement (PTD) benefit will be paid at the end of the 5 year period should the insured be unable to return to work.

Both covers can be purchased on an "own occupation" basis, which covers the client for their occupation only, which means that the policy will pay out if the client can no longer perform that occupation and that occupation only.

Both policy types are renewable annually, with flexible deferment periods and benefit levels. Cover is available for individuals working in high risk industries or who suffer from medical conditions.

For more information about Personal Accident, Illness or Income Protection insurance please contact our office on 01280 841430 or


 *Source: The Office for National Statistics.

Transferring to STB…